Marcus Constructions Pty Ltd and those entities controlled by Marcus Constructions Pty Ltd are committed to collecting, handling and disclosing personal information lawfully and fairly and to taking reasonable steps to protect and safeguard personal information. Marcus Constructions Pty Ltd is bound by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) and the ten National Privacy Principles set out in that Act.
• Sets out how Marcus Constructions Pty Ltd, stores, uses and discloses personal information
• Relates to personal information collected by any means and by any technology
• Outlines how Marcus Constructions Pty Ltd makes the personal information it holds available for access to and correction by an individual.
If you have any questions about this policy, please direct them to the Privacy Officer (see contact details below).
Marcus Constructions Pty Ltd and GDPR
Marcus Constructions Pty Ltd welcomes the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) as an important step forward in streamlining data protection requirements across the EU. Marcus Constructions Pty Ltd will comply with applicable GDPR regulations as a data processor when they take effect on 25th May 2018. Similar to existing legal requirements, compliance with the GDPR requires a partnership between Marcus Constructions Pty Ltd and our customers in their use of our services. Marcus Constructions Pty Ltd will comply with the GDPR in the delivery of our service to our customers. We are also dedicated to helping our customers comply with the GDPR. We have analysed the requirements of the GDPR and are working to make enhancements to our products, contracts, and documentation to help support Marcus Constructions Pty Ltd and our customers’ compliance with the GDPR.
Collection of personal information
Marcus Constructions Pty Ltd will, where it is reasonable or practicable to do so, collect personal information directly from an individual using a number of different methods, including collection via Marcus Constructions’ websites, electronic transmission (e.g. email), post, telephone, in person or portable devices. We may also collect personal information from third parties, including clients, contractors, service providers and other individuals.
Marcus Constructions Pty Ltd will only collect personal information that is necessary to promote its business, to provide its services or to conduct its activities (Primary Purpose of Collection). These activities include:
• To provide products and services to clients
• To receive products and services from service providers and contractors
• To maintain and promote relationships with clients, service providers and contractors
• To provide clients and prospective clients with information on our services and products, economic and industry developments, and seminars and events that may be of interest to them
• To recruit and maintain relationships with staff
• To complete internal administration functions (e.g. invoicing clients).
The type of personal information collected may include names, date of birth, gender, marital status, addresses, contact details, job titles, account details and financial information.
Use of personal information
Marcus Constructions Pty Ltd will use the personal information it collects in connection with the Primary Purpose of Collection.
Additionally, Marcus Constructions Pty Ltd may use the personal information it collects for a purpose (Secondary Purpose) that is related to the Primary Purpose of Collection and in circumstances where an individual would reasonably expect us to use personal information for a Secondary Purpose.
Where Marcus Constructions Pty Ltd uses personal information to market our products and services to clients and prospective clients, recipients can contact us at any time if they no longer wish to receive this marketing information. Alternatively, individuals will be given the opportunity to ‘opt out’ from receiving marketing communications from us by clicking on an unsubscribe link at the end of the email.
Access, data quality and correction
Marcus Constructions Pty Ltd will provide access to personal information about an individual upon request by that individual (although there are some exceptions to granting access e.g. where providing access would be unlawful under the Privacy Act). If Marcus Constructions Pty Ltd denies access to an individual’s personal information, it will provide reasons in writing.
The procedure for gaining access is as follows:
• An individual will need to make a request for access in writing, addressed to the Privacy Officer (see contact details below)
• An individual must provide sufficient details of the information requested
• Marcus Constructions Pty Ltd will need to verify the identity of that individual
• Marcus Constructions Pty Ltd may need to charge an administrative fee to cover the cost of access (however, there is no fee for lodging a request for access). The Marcus Constructions Pty Ltd will notify the individual of the proposed fee before proceeding
• Marcus Constructions Pty Ltd will respond to a request as soon as reasonably practicable but by no later than 30 days of receipt of the request
• The Marcus Constructions Pty Ltd may deliver the requested information either by mail or by email.
Marcus Constructions Pty Ltd will take all reasonable measures to aim to ensure that the personal information it holds is accurate, complete and up to date. Please contact the Privacy Officer if you believe that the information we have about you is not accurate, complete or up to date.
Disclosure of personal information
Marcus Constructions Pty Ltd may disclose personal information to third parties, such as contractors, agents and service providers, to assist us with our activities and the provision of products and services to our clients. In doing so, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that these organisations are bound by obligations of confidentiality and privacy in order to protect personal information in accordance with the Privacy Act.
We may also send personal information to organisations outside Australia (including to x Marcus Constructions Pty Ltd associate companies) in connection with the provision of our products and services to clients and the performance of administrative functions.
Other than as outlined above, Marcus Constructions Pty Ltd will not disclose personal information to any other third party unless Marcus Constructions Pty Ltd has:
• Reasonable grounds to believe that the disclosure is required by law
• Reasonable grounds to believe that the disclosure is necessary to prevent a serious and imminent threat to a person’s life, health or safety
• The consent of an individual to do so.
Marcus Constructions Pty Ltd has in place generally accepted standards of technological security for the purpose of protecting personal information from misuse, loss, corruption or destruction. Only authorised personnel have access to personal information. Such personnel are required by Marcus Constructions Pty Ltd policies and employment contracts to maintain the confidentiality of this sensitive data.
Where personal information we hold is identified as no longer needed for any purpose for which the information may be used or disclosed under the Privacy Act, we will take reasonable steps to destroy such information e.g. by shredding in the case of paper records and other means in the case of electronic records.
ONLINE PRIVACY MATTERS
For statistical purposes, we may collect information through the use of ‘cookies’ on website activity (including the number of users who visit our websites, date and time of your visit to the Website, the pages accessed and any information downloaded, navigation patterns, the country and systems through which users have accessed the website).
Cookies are data that a website transfers to an individual’s hard drive for record-keeping purposes. Cookies can facilitate a user’s ongoing access to and use of a website and may be necessary to access features such as online transactions.
While we take great care to protect your personal information on our Website and use state-of-the-art data transmission encryption, unfortunately no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Accordingly, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information that you send to us or receive from us online. This is particularly true for information you send to us via email. We have no way of protecting that information until it reaches us. Once we receive your transmission, we use our best efforts to ensure its security in our possession.
The Websites may contain links/ plug-ins to other sites. We are not responsible for content of, or the privacy practices or policies of, those sites.
Marcus Constructions Pty Ltd takes care to protect the personal information given to us on our websites e.g. our websites have electronic security systems in place.